Right of Way/Easements

MVEA may require applicants to grant easements for installation of new electric lines within or across the property being served. In the event the new electric line crosses property other than that of the applicant requesting service, an easement from that property owner may also be required. If the new line will cross a highway, road, railroad, or other utility right-of-way or easement, MVEA may be required to obtain a permit. Please note that acquisition of these easements and/or permits may require payment of fees and/or preparation of a legal survey to provide the necessary documentation. In most cases, MVEA will prepare and acquire the necessary easements and/or permits prior to the start of construction, and the related expenses will be included in the cost of extending service to the new applicant; however, it is ultimately the applicant’s responsibility to provide all required easements.

The easements or rights-of-way must be on forms provided by or acceptable to the Association and executed and acknowledged by the owner(s) of record of the underlying property.

Review the Grant of Right-of-Way Execution Guide for further requirements.

General Restrictions for Right-of-Way/Easements

Permanent structures or buildings are not allowed within utility easements.

MVEA requires that trees be planted far enough away from all vaults and above-ground equipment so that, at maturity, 10 foot area on all sides of the equipment is maintained for access. Upkeep and maintenance of landscaping in a utility easement is the responsibility of the property owner.

MVEA shall have the right to trim or cut down any trees and shrubbery on or adjacent to easements, and to control the growth of this landscaping by machinery or otherwise which may interfere with the construction and operation of utility lines.

Right-of-way and easement grades cannot be changed by excavation or filling without prior approval.

If the property owner alters the terrain or in any other way causes a need for MVEA electric facilities to be relocated or removed, the property owner shall provide necessary easement and will be required to reimburse MVEA for the related expense.

Access must be provided to all MVEA electric facilities. In the event a fence or landscaping must be removed by MVEA to repair or maintain electrical facilities, reasonable effort will be made to replace the fence or landscaping when repairs are completed.