Interconnection/Net Metering


If you are considering installing renewable energy sources (solar, wind, biomass, hydro, or other sources), you have come to the right place! We are here to be your source of information and to help you make the best choice for you and your home and business.

What is Net Metering?

The ability to interconnect with the grid is called Net Metering. Net Metering measures the energy:

  • Used from MVEA (the grid)
  • Generated from your renewable system

Your Energy & Renewable System

  • If your renewable system generates more energy than you use, the excess energy produced is fed into the grid and a credit, called banked use, is applied to your bill.
  • If you use more energy than your renewable system generates, then the grid will back you up and provide the power you need.

If you are looking for a more detailed explanation of our Net Metering program, read the 20.42 Net Metering Rate (PDF).

Where to Start?

So, you are excited and want to get this project started, but you don’t know what to do first. No problem. Here is how to get started:

  1. Prior to starting an installation, submit a request for a preliminary screen
  2. You will receive an email to notify you of the status of your request

Systems are limited to a total aggregate nameplate generating capacity, from a single type or multiple types of renewable not greater than:

  • 10 kilowatt (kW) A.C. for residential rate classes
  • 25 kW A.C. for all rate classes other than residential

Systems may be downsized or denied based on the results of the preliminary screen.

Passing Screen Result Next Steps

Congratulations! You are one step closer to partnering with us on a new Net Metering adventure. Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, let’s hit the highlights for what you will need to submit.

If everything is in order:

  1. We will issue a letter to you via email to provide to Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (PPRBD).
    • This letter will include the location of the *disconnect and then you may start the permitting process and installation.
    • If you are not in El Paso County you will need to contact the Colorado State Electrical Board and obtain a State Electrical permit, or the authority having jurisdiction.
  2. Please pay the $200 Interconnection Request Application Fee. Make your payment online using the account number listed in the email.

*(1) – Includes an A/C Safety Switch/Mechanical Disconnect, with a visual open mechanism and externally operated handle, Square D, DU221RB Safety Switch 240VAC, General Duty, 2-Pole or equal, located outside (can not be behind a fence, obstructions, etc.) and it must be accessible. MVEA does not have any additional metering requirements.

You Have Your Net Meter, Now What?

Congratulations on the completion of your Net Metering project and your new partnership with us. We are excited for you to be able to check your energy use. One of the greatest benefits to Net Metering is that we will be there providing access to the grid even if your system is not producing enough energy to power your home.

Each month your statement will list the energy you used and banked.

Be sure to log in to SmartHub to learn more about your energy data; the data will be different each:

  • Month
  • Week
  • Day

While we work with MVEA members in making the switch to Net Metering, we do not:

  • Have preferred vendors
  • Send sales teams out to canvas neighborhoods

Our Net Metering program is driven by member demand, and we work with the companies that our members select.

Additional Renewable & Net Metering Links

If you would like more information regarding our Net Metering program or renewable energy, please contact our Key Accounts and Renewables team at (719) 495-2283 or email Net Metering.

If you have any questions, be sure to reach out to us during business hours. We will be happy to walk you through the information available to you.