If you’re planning to build a new residence, commercial business, or subdivision and need electric service, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered! Simply follow the outlined steps below to get started.
At MVEA, we genuinely value your time, and our priority is to make the application process smooth and stress-free for you. We’re here to support you every step of the way as you embark on this exciting journey of obtaining electric service for your new construction project. Let’s work together to power up your project and turn your vision into a reality! Feel free to reach out to us anytime with any questions or assistance you may need. We can’t wait to be a part of your project’s success!
New Construction Process Overview:
When planning your project, consider the following information:
- Location: The location of your project plays a crucial role in determining the feasibility and accessibility of electric service. Ensure that you have accurate details about the site’s address, proximity to existing electrical infrastructure, and any potential challenges related to the location.
- Complexity: Assess the complexity of your construction project. Factors such as the size of the development, the type of building or business, and the scope of electrical requirements will impact the application process. Understanding the complexity will help streamline the process and avoid delays.
- Site Readiness: Before applying for electric service, evaluate the readiness of your construction site. Ensure that it meets the necessary requirements for safety and compliance with local regulations. Being prepared and having the site ready for installation will expedite the process.
By considering these factors during the application process, you can ensure a smoother and more efficient experience in obtaining electric service for your new project. Should you have any questions or need assistance, our team is here to provide support and guidance throughout the process. Let’s make your project a success together!
Applying for electric service for your new construction is simple and straightforward. Here’s what you need to do:
- Submit an application: Start by filling out the electric service application request form. This form will gather essential details about your project, including the location, load requirements, and any specific electrical needs. You can easily submit the application request form online or visit our office to do so in person.
- Pay all applicable engineering fees and deposits: To initiate the electric service process, you’ll be required to pay the engineering deposits and engineering fee. We accept cash, check, credit card, and money orders.
After you’ve completed these steps, our dedicated team will review your application and conduct a thorough assessment to determine the most suitable electric service solution for your construction project.
Designing your project and planning the electric service is a crucial step in ensuring a smooth and efficient construction process. Here’s how we’ll work together to make it happen:
- Site meeting with your Distribution Line Designer: Once your application is submitted, our team will arrange a site meeting with your Distribution Line Designer. During this meeting, we’ll visit the construction site to assess its specific electrical requirements and discuss your project’s unique needs. This allows us to gain a comprehensive understanding of the scope and layout of the project.
- Distribution Line Designer creates a plan for your electric service: Based on the insights gathered during the site meeting and the information provided in your application, a skilled Distribution Line Designer will create a customized plan for your electric service. This plan will outline the optimal electrical infrastructure, including distribution points, load requirements, and any additional considerations to meet your project’s demands.
Throughout this process, we value open communication and collaboration. Your input is essential, and we encourage you to share any specific requirements or preferences you may have for the electric service design.
By working closely with our experienced engineering team, you can be confident that your electric service plan will meet your construction needs. We strive to deliver a reliable, safe, and efficient electrical solution that aligns with your project’s vision.
Once the electric service plan for your new construction has been finalized, the next step involves paying the necessary construction costs. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign and return cost letters and easements if applicable: After the electric service plan is created, you’ll receive a cost letter that will provide construction costs that you are required to pay for the required construction work. If any easements are necessary for the installation of electrical infrastructure, you will also be provided with the relevant documentation. Review the cost letter and easement carefully, sign them, and promptly return them to us to proceed with the construction process.
- Pay all construction fees: To initiate the construction work and ensure a smooth implementation of the electric service plan, you’ll need to make the required construction fee payments. These fees cover the expenses associated with materials, labor, and equipment necessary for installing and connecting the electrical infrastructure to your construction site.
Once all construction costs have been paid and the necessary documentation is in place, MVEA’s dedicated team will schedule the construction of your electric service. To ensure a seamless start to the construction process and facilitate the efficient installation of electrical infrastructure, it is essential to maintain site readiness by following these guidelines:
- Post address sign: Clearly display the address sign at the entrance of the construction site. This ensures that our construction team can easily locate and access the property.
- Ensuring grade is +/- 3 inches: Leveling the ground within a tolerance of +/- 3 inches is crucial for a smooth and stable installation of electrical equipment and infrastructure.
- Ensuring the planned electrical service path is clear of all obstacles: Prior to construction, ensure that the designated electrical service path is clear of any obstructions such as vegetation, debris, or other objects. A clear pathway enables our team to work efficiently and safely, avoiding unnecessary delays.
- Clearly marking septic location, well, and waterlines: This information helps our team avoid interference with these critical systems and prevents any disruptions to your property’s essential utilities.
- Clearly marking property lines and building corners: This will help our construction crew accurately position the electrical infrastructure without encroaching on neighboring properties or causing setbacks during the installation process.
Once the site is ready, the construction phase commences, and our skilled team works diligently to install the electrical infrastructure as per the approved plan. Here’s what you can expect during this phase:
- Construction takes place: Our experienced crews will execute the installation of electrical service as outlined in the approved plan. We adhere to the highest safety standards and quality practices.
- Contact your local inspection authority: After MVEA completes the electric service installation, your electrician will make the final connection to the meter. You or your electrician must contact your local inspection authority to schedule an inspection of the electrical work your electrician has completed. This step is crucial to ensure that the installation meets all safety and building code requirements. Electrical Permits Information
- The inspection authority will notify MVEA if you passed inspection: Following the inspection, the local authority will assess the electrical installation. If the work meets the necessary standards, they will issue a passing inspection notification.
- MVEA will set the meter: Once we receive the notification of the passing inspection from the local authority, we will promptly proceed with setting up the electric meter for your new construction. In most cases, this will be done as early as the next business day after receiving the notification.
At this stage, your new construction will be ready to receive electric service, and you can begin utilizing the power supply for your project. Our goal is to make this process as smooth and efficient as possible, and we’re committed to providing you with excellent service at every step.
Ready to start your project? After reviewing the information above, fill out the New Construction Service Application Form below or give us a call at 719-495-2283, and one of our helpful Engineering Services Representatives will be happy to assist you.
New Construction Service Request for Application
Other New Construction Services & Resources
We’re here to help make your electric service estimation process a breeze! Whether you’re looking for an estimate on your current property or a property you’re thinking of purchasing, reaching out to us is simple and quick. Just send an email to MVEA’s Engineering Department , or give us a call at 719-495-2283.
To get started, all we need from you is some basic information. Let us know the type of service you’re requesting, and provide the property address. With these details in hand, we’ll promptly prepare an estimate of the installation costs for you.
- Depending on the type of service you require and the distance of your proposed building location from existing MVEA facilities, there might be a need for an extension of our electric facilities. Rest assured, we are committed to providing you with electric service in accordance with the terms of our current MVEA Line Extension Policy. Our team is here to guide you through the process and ensure you have a seamless experience.