Where to Start?
What is Net Metering?
So, you are excited and want to get this project started, but you don’t know what to do first. No problem. Here is how to get started:
- Prior to starting an installation, submit a request for a preliminary screen
- You will receive an email to notify you of the status of your request
Systems are limited to a total aggregate nameplate generating capacity, from a single type or multiple types of renewable not greater than:
- 10 kilowatt (kW) A.C. for residential rate classes
- 25 kW A.C. for all rate classes other than residential
Systems may be downsized or denied based on the results of the preliminary screen.
The ability to interconnect with the grid is called Net Metering. Net Metering measures the energy:
- Used from MVEA (the grid)
- Generated from your renewable system
Your Energy & Renewable System
- If your renewable system generates more energy than you use, the excess energy produced is fed into the grid and a credit, called banked use, is applied to your bill.
- If you use more energy than your renewable system generates, then the grid will back you up and provide the power you need.
If you are looking for a more detailed explanation of our Net Metering program, read the 20.42 Net Metering Rate (PDF).